One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The brightest setting of a vehicle's headlights.
- ‘Then I switched on the headlights to a high beam.’
- ‘On the way to pick her up from her apartment, I was tailed by this black Porsche Cayenne with its headlights on high beam.’
- ‘I also had my headlight on high beam, which is recommended by the Motorcycle Safety Foundation.’
- ‘I spent the rest of the night looking like a startled rabbit contemplating an on-rushing truck with its lights on high beam.’
- ‘I still see four and five people riding on one bike - almost none are wearing helmets, but their headlights are on high beam so maybe we are halfway there.’
high beam/ˈhī ˌbēm/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.