One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Thinking or acting as though one is more important than others.
self-important, condescending, patronizing, disdainful, supercilious, superior, snobbish, snobby, haughty, arrogant, proud, conceited, above oneself, egotistic, egotistical, imperious, overweening, overbearingView synonyms
- ‘We'd have exactly the same problems here so I'm not going to get all high and mighty.’
- ‘I'm so tired of her giving us those looks that make us feel inferior, and I'm tired of her acting all high and mighty.’
- ‘It's a little too easy to come on all high and mighty about insolvency when you've never been there yourself.’
- ‘You think you're so high and mighty, don't you?’
- ‘Who did she think she was, coming all high and mighty with me?’
- ‘Even though his Mum was too high and mighty to keep visiting me he used to come by whenever he were near the place and I'm pretty fond of the lad.’
- ‘I tried to act like everyone else in Warrington, high and mighty and convinced of my own superiority, but I couldn't pull it off.’
- ‘There have been a lot of great champions but he is just classy - he is never high and mighty in the locker room or anything like that.’
- ‘You might think you're so high and mighty now because you married the master, but I know your beginnings.’
- ‘You might act all high and mighty, but I know your secret - your mother told me everything.’
high and mighty/ˈhī ən ˈmīdē/
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.