verb[NO OBJECT]Ice Hockey
Strike an opponent on or above the shoulders with one's stick, for which a penalty may be assessed.
- ‘The Devils need him to help the transition game, though the team scored more goals against the Leafs without him than it did when he was high-sticking’
- ‘He said he was high-sticked, while the Swedes insist he bit his own tongue.’
- ‘With Martin Rucinsky serving a double minor for high-sticking, Arnason drove to the net and fired a shot between the legs of goalie Henrik Lundqvist.’
- ‘Harris got two minutes for high-sticking, starting a Bruins power play.’
- ‘The numbers are in, and some of them deserve a penalty for high-sticking.’