One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
See high roller
- ‘He's even had a role in a big movie, playing a high-rolling Japanese gambler alongside Robert De Niro in the Las Vegas mob movie Casino.’
- ‘Even when gambling became above board in the eyes of the law, it was still frowned upon as either the pastime of high-rolling decadent playboys or the ruin of feckless working-class punters.’
- ‘By holding down your wages, corporations fatten their profits, stock prices rise, and Wall Street's high-rolling investors rejoice.’
- ‘The company intends to construct an upmarket hotel and entertainment complex that would attract high-rolling gambling tourists from Taiwan and mainland China.’
- ‘And they, like restaurants, are taking hits as high-rolling Wall Street bankers and others cancel expensive holiday parties.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.