Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1(of a building) having many stories.‘office towers and high-rise apartments’
- ‘Several high-rise office buildings near the embassy were heavily damaged.’
- ‘During the past few months the problems and incidents when answering call-outs at high-rise tower blocks have escalated, they added.’
- ‘All this prosperity manifests itself in the city's swish downtown area, with its glittering high-rise office buildings and hotels.’
- ‘On Malaysia's west coast, thousands of residents fled high-rise apartment buildings and hotels.’
- ‘They contrast with the often impeccably maintained town centres and are largely made up of high-rise tower blocks that are lacking in amenities, especially for the youth.’
- ‘Instead of cosy, low-rent substitute houses in old neighbourhoods, there were high-rise apartment buildings.’
- ‘Luxury high-rise apartment buildings and large houses have all the amenities one would expect in the United States.’
- ‘In contrast to the rest of the country, hotels, offices, villas and high-rise apartment buildings are going up at a frenzied pace.’
- ‘The housing project included the construction of a massive shopping center, an international school and high-rise office buildings, an apartment, a five star hotel and international class hospital.’
- ‘We hopped into my car, and she directed me downtown to the Belvedere, an old high-rise office building that had been converted into cheap apartments.’
- ‘Most South Koreans in urban areas live in high-rise, multistory dwellings.’
- ‘This more northerly part of the area is in contrast to the mass tourism-dominated southern end of the Costa Brava, with its high-rise tower blocks and packed beaches.’
- ‘Architectural styles range from ornate, nineteenth-century villas to modern, high-rise apartment buildings.’
- ‘It's in the grand tradition of big cities that there are little delis, cafés or coffee shops on the main floor of high-rise apartment buildings.’
- ‘All four sites have since been developed and are now occupied by high-rise office buildings.’
- ‘Montevideo is a modern city, with high-rise apartments and office buildings.’
- ‘Wood has given way to cement as the main building material, and new forms of architecture include high-rise buildings for offices and residences, and air-conditioned shopping malls.’
- ‘Until around the turn of the 21st century, high-rise buildings were quite rare in Vienna.’
- ‘Not surprisingly, the vast majority of the population here lives in single-family detached housing; relatively few people are in high-rise apartment buildings or condos.’
- ‘Over time, the city spread out; its central business district became dense with high-rise office and residential buildings and an excellent infrastructure developed.’
- 1.1Taller or set higher than normal.‘high-rise handlebars’
tall, lofty, towering, soaring, elevated, giant, bigView synonyms
- ‘This aluminum city slicker has eight speeds, and a shorter stem and high-rise handlebars to ensure a comfortable, upright position.’
- ‘Generally, high-rise pants suit taller men, while low-rise trousers are more flattering for shorter men.’
A building with many stories.
- ‘The understated, brick exterior now stands out amongst the bland residential high-rises that have sprouted in the River North area in recent years.’
- ‘Many people live in walkups, and elevators are usually found only in high-rises.’
- ‘Luxury high-rises are especially prone to noise problems.’
- ‘Adding new homes to an existing neighbourhood is the best rebuttal to any scheme to clear out houses and build a high-rise.’
- ‘The wide view outside displays Shanghai's historical buildings and modern high-rises.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.