Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1(of a machine or device) having greater than normal strength or capabilities.‘a high-powered rifle’
- ‘The Cessna 310 which crashed on Saturday is a high-powered six-seater aircraft, capable of flying long distances.’
- ‘The gang are still active in west Dublin, involved in the theft of high-powered cars and drug dealing.’
- ‘They'll love the 9310XL, which is the quietest high-power machine I've tested.’
- ‘People camp out on the mainland for weeks, pouring their life savings into high-power telescopes, just to catch a glimpse of him.’
- ‘Police officers and SWAT members surround the house with their high-power guns.’
- 1.1 Dynamic and capable.‘a high-powered delegation’
dynamic, energetic, ambitious, driven, go-ahead, assertive, fast-track, effective, enterprising, vigorous, forceful, aggressive, pushy, pushing, drivingView synonyms
- ‘The marketing committee is one of the most high-powered organs of the board, and deals directly on all matters of revenue, including television rights, team sponsorship and individual series sponsorships.’
- ‘The change from high-powered business executive to lowly prisoner was swift.’
- ‘Gregory, a high-powered executive whose work involves much travel around Europe which he thoroughly enjoys, was suddenly handed additional responsibility for his company in Asia.’
- ‘In Washington, the Protocol School's clients include high-powered business executives and members of the diplomatic corps.’
- ‘In Japan, high-powered executives of big corporations are put under stress to make strong, resilient men of them, to make them think fast, to make them make decisions quickly.’
- ‘Meanwhile, Paul realises his wife - a high-powered advertising executive - might want another child.’
- ‘Harrelson portrays his character with a depth and darkness that makes it hard to take your eyes off his presence, and Barkin's role as a high-powered executive is sexy and chilling.’
- ‘I don't do lunch with high-powered executives any more, I'm glad to say.’
- ‘Today's shock news comes less than three years after she took up the high-powered chief executive post.’
- ‘To be a senior manager, a CEO or any high-powered corporate executive you need to be smart, sharp, presentable and have reasonable charisma.’
- ‘Relishing her best film role for some time, Stockard Channing is the high-powered business executive wedded to her mobile and merciless in the demands she makes on others.’
- ‘A high-powered delegation of Waterford city councillors travelled to Dublin yesterday afternoon for a meeting with the Minister.’
- ‘He was very protective of us, and because of his job as a high-powered lawyer who had convicted thousands of drug dealers and criminals to jail, he was a little paranoid that they would try to harm his family.’
- ‘The overseas business schools contributing to this new centre of excellence will attract high-powered executives from around the world.’
- ‘Catering for the high-powered executive, the hotel offers a full set of business services and entertainment.’
- ‘As the tourism industry seeks to revive its fortunes over the Bank Holiday weekend, the local economy was due to get a much-needed boost today from a high-powered overseas delegation.’
- ‘Mr Butt said she was arranging for a programme of visits to the area by a delegation of high-powered Pakistani businessmen.’
- ‘It's issues like these - and the prospect of helping other men struggling with the difficulties of marriage to a high-powered executive - that spawned his Web site.’
- ‘An inconspicuous, soft-spoken man, Bruckheimer contradicts the stereotype of the high-powered Hollywood executive.’
- ‘His expensive Armani suits are razor sharp, perfect for any high-powered executive, yet flashy enough for a playboy on the prowl.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.