Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Having strong moral principles.‘high-minded notions of what good persons want to be’
high-principled, principled, honourable, moral, upright, upstanding, right-minded, right-thinking, noble-minded, good, honest, decent, ethical, righteous, virtuous, worthy, idealisticView synonyms
- ‘But is their aesthetic really as thought-out, or as high-minded as you make it out to be?’
- ‘They are not interested in lofty visions and high-minded idealism.’
- ‘Since starting the whirlwind publicity tour to promote his autobiography, he has done his best to seem high-minded.’
- ‘They're tired of politicians who parade across the world stage making high-minded promises when all they want is someone to make their lives a bit easier.’
- ‘Maybe there is a better way to run for public office, but no serious candidate is willing to risk defeat in the high-minded quest to find it.’
- ‘This is a film you can admire for its mix of cool looks and high-minded purpose, but it has lots of principles and no personalities.’
- ‘There was nothing high-minded about the way he played politics.’
- ‘The British House of Commons is a place where people hoot and holler, and high-minded debate is also encouraged.’
- ‘Can television really afford to be this high-minded?’
- ‘ITV pays lip-service to those high-minded ideals, while quietly slipping out programmes like When Celebrities Strip.’
- ‘Even the most high-minded government is not infallible.’
- ‘It looks unhappily as if the high-minded director and her main character are dipping a quivering toe in the waters of non-PC sexuality.’
- ‘It's unquestionably a high-minded and ambitious piece of work.’
- ‘There are many of us who like to think we are too high-minded for reality television and the down-and-dirty roustabout of confessional chat shows.’
- ‘Who is so high-minded that such thoughts never crossed his/her mind?’
- ‘They aren't noticeably brave or ostentatiously high-minded.’
- ‘Suffice to say I am suspicious of the self-righteous and high-minded motives you gave for pursuing this line of attack.’
- ‘Both editors offered high-minded defences for their cheap gibes.’
- ‘It seems clear that despite all the high-minded language about offending democracy and the law, protesters are judged not according to what they do but why they do it.’
- ‘Ultimately, the Super Girls is only an entertainment program and should not be the subject of such high-minded discussion.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.