One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Cover up one's face or keep out of sight, especially from shame.
- ‘Summer looks mortified, she goes bright red and hides her head, but her mother and the other two mothers don't even notice’
- ‘He did not say more, but only hid his head and shuddered.’
- ‘He's silent for a few minutes hiding his head in my chest.’
- ‘I looked at Deidre again, and she was still hiding her head in her hand, shaking it as if she couldn't believe she'd just done that in the elevator.’
- ‘She sat down on the couch, hiding her head in her hands.’
- ‘I continued to hide my head, until Will lifted my chin gently and looked at me.’
- ‘Donna looks over but hides her head in her menu as the woman starts to shout at the bartender.’
- ‘They stared at him, until he hid his head in shame.’
- ‘Oh the shame of it Kim thought, she tried to avoid the stares by hiding her head in her hands, she could already feel the warmth flushing into her cheeks.’
- ‘Certainly, there are moments that resonate beyond others, and everyone associated with that debacle should just hide their head in shame.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.