One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A company's funds that are not declared on its balance sheet.
- ‘Councils which are imposing tax rises of up to 7% this spring have built up hidden reserves of £1.4bn in their bank accounts, which could be used to cut bills, Scotland on Sunday can reveal.’
- ‘The bank intends to remedy that with profitability increases through cost reductions and the liquidation of hidden reserves by selling off industrial holdings valued at 65 billion marks.’
- ‘The provinces argue Ottawa is has plenty of hidden reserves, including underestimated revenues totalling $73 billion over 10 years.’
- 1.1 Mental or physical capabilities beyond those normally available to someone.‘hidden reserves of power’
- ‘Art offers one of the principal means by which a people becomes aware of itself, its failings, its illusions, its collective dilemma, its hidden reserves of strength.’
- ‘Tapping hidden reserves of strength, i managed to pick the woman off the floor and put her back in the… err… safe… er… hands of her partner.’
- ‘The exercise, which was held at the end of May, is designed to test, stress and call upon the hidden reserves of the trainees over five days - and the staff of the college ensure the trainees are indeed stressed and tested.’
- ‘From then on I realized I had hidden reserves of strength, speed, and skill.’
- ‘Both showed unexpected moments of resilience, hidden reserves of strength that failed to save them, because the dices were loaded.’
- ‘The young and the innocent Hobbit, discovers hidden reserves of strength and courage, as he shoulders the responsibility of being the ‘ring bearer’, far from his lovely Shire.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.