One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1A company's funds that are not declared on its balance sheet.
- ‘Councils which are imposing tax rises of up to 7% this spring have built up hidden reserves of £1.4bn in their bank accounts, which could be used to cut bills, Scotland on Sunday can reveal.’
- ‘The provinces argue Ottawa is has plenty of hidden reserves, including underestimated revenues totalling $73 billion over 10 years.’
- ‘The bank intends to remedy that with profitability increases through cost reductions and the liquidation of hidden reserves by selling off industrial holdings valued at 65 billion marks.’
- 1.1 Mental or physical capabilities beyond those normally available to someone.‘hidden reserves of power’
- ‘The young and the innocent Hobbit, discovers hidden reserves of strength and courage, as he shoulders the responsibility of being the ‘ring bearer’, far from his lovely Shire.’
- ‘Both showed unexpected moments of resilience, hidden reserves of strength that failed to save them, because the dices were loaded.’
- ‘Art offers one of the principal means by which a people becomes aware of itself, its failings, its illusions, its collective dilemma, its hidden reserves of strength.’
- ‘Tapping hidden reserves of strength, i managed to pick the woman off the floor and put her back in the… err… safe… er… hands of her partner.’
- ‘From then on I realized I had hidden reserves of strength, speed, and skill.’
- ‘The exercise, which was held at the end of May, is designed to test, stress and call upon the hidden reserves of the trainees over five days - and the staff of the college ensure the trainees are indeed stressed and tested.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.