One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Admirable but previously unnoticed qualities.‘hidden depths and insights within children’
- ‘But her recent career revival has proved that she has always been a woman of many facets and hidden depths.’
- ‘When the same well-meaning friend says she knows he has hidden depths, Will replies, "You've always had that wrong. I really am this shallow."’
- ‘He finds the hidden depths in her character and reasons to be sympathetic towards a woman who might initially seem little more than an empty-headed good-time girl.’
- ‘On the non-instrumentals throughout, the vocals bring an oblique vulnerability to the weirder excess, and this album effortlessly manages to combine the shimmering pop surface with darker hidden depths.’
- ‘He may seem a bit of a buffoon to Hortense, but he has hidden depths and hidden strengths, which are gradually revealed to her once she joins him in London.’
- ‘It takes a few listening sessions to bring out these hidden depths, but even impatient listeners will be caught by the catchiness of the melodies.’
- ‘David, as his book perhaps unwittingly demonstrates, is a man with no hidden depths.’
- ‘It proves that the best TV comedies often have hidden depths.’
- ‘Jane seems worthless to all who meet her, but we know she has hidden depths, evident in her otherworldly drawings.’
- ‘The feeling then, as now, was that there are hidden depths in Barrie's work, but he himself was never quite able to confront them.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.