Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The protrusion of an organ, typically the stomach, through the esophageal opening in the diaphragm.
- ‘Most of the time, reflux is associated with hiatus hernia or prolapse of stomach into the food pipe, which is quite troublesome.’
- ‘High fibre foods minimize the risk of constipation, colon and rectal cancer, hiatus hernia, heart disease and obesity.’
- ‘The only problem with highly concentrated tomato products is that they may aggravate acid-related conditions like indigestion, hiatus hernia and rheumatoid arthritis.’
- ‘She underwent surgery to correct a serious hiatus hernia which doctors afterward told her was life-threatening.’
- ‘This is called a hiatus hernia, and it causes pain and heartburn.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.