The protrusion of an organ, typically the stomach, through the esophageal opening in the diaphragm.
- ‘Most of the time, reflux is associated with hiatus hernia or prolapse of stomach into the food pipe, which is quite troublesome.’
- ‘She underwent surgery to correct a serious hiatus hernia which doctors afterward told her was life-threatening.’
- ‘High fibre foods minimize the risk of constipation, colon and rectal cancer, hiatus hernia, heart disease and obesity.’
- ‘This is called a hiatus hernia, and it causes pain and heartburn.’
- ‘The only problem with highly concentrated tomato products is that they may aggravate acid-related conditions like indigestion, hiatus hernia and rheumatoid arthritis.’