Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
(of a display or a photographic or video image) showing a large amount of detail.
- ‘I expected to be able to see all the cutscenes in beautiful high-res, high definition style.’
- ‘The visuals are very detailed and colourful although they are a little on the small side in hi-res mode.’
- ‘Everything is high-res and filled with colour.’
- ‘There are high-res pictures of the 1.5GHz Palamino at the tecChannel site.’
- ‘The images are hi-res enough to print as 5x7 photos to decorate your cubespace.’
- ‘Don't forget to click on the image to see the much larger hi-res version and take a good look around the exploding street-lamp.’
- ‘Will the cutscenes be handled in-game or separately using high-res CG?’
- ‘Within seconds, he has access to 6 terabytes of hi-res video - every single minute of pro football since the start of the 2003 season.’
- ‘Print out a high-res image of the famous person, tear up the pieces, and then glue it onto your paper mache molded mask.’
- ‘We not only have a detailed video review, but also high-res movies, and even custom wallpaper for your computer desktop.’
- ‘The normal problem with squeezing high-res screens into a few pixels is that you lose the detail.’
- ‘I wanted a hi-res shot of it, and I guess the light from the scanner went through the clear coat on the heatsink.’
- ‘We take hi-res satellite photos of a given location and build a world that looks just like it.’
- ‘If you have the bandwidth, you can check out high-res versions of the picture above, and animations of the Drygalski collision here.’
- ‘Do you want super high-res which turns the game into a great slideshow?’
- ‘Since most people in graphic arts now have fast internet access, I want to move into high-res images which may be potentially publishable.’
- ‘Thirty high-res races crisscross lavishly detailed expanses of road, running the gamut from urban to rural, day to night, rainy to sunny.’
- ‘Even if the user has a slow dial up connection to the internet, F2f technology offers hi-res, no-lag audio and visual communication.’
- ‘There are numerous PC-specific features, including high-res textures and scalable graphics.’
- ‘Surely the publisher can still source hi-res pictures for inclusion in the book, even a book about web design.’
1960s: short for high-resolution.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.