Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A pair of foot-operated cymbals forming part of a drum kit.→ high hat
- ‘Then the hi-hat was overdubbed as a separate track.’
- ‘The hi-hat, thumping bass and ceaseless ringing in ‘Outrun’ will sound familiar to fans of the band's 1996 debut Homework.’
- ‘Even the hi-hat and the crash cymbals are electric blue.’
- ‘Making no use of the hi-hat or cymbals, Kathi's drumming is insistent and tribal adding a real primal ebb to each song.’
- ‘Brunelle throws in plenty of house clichés (off-beat hi-hats and the like), but subverts them, turning them into vital parts of the song.’
- ‘A sparkling hi-hat percussion line, lyrical ‘little bird’ metaphors of ‘loveless love,’ and an endgame of girls laughing make it an aural delight.’
- ‘With an uninspiring production, minimalist pulsing hi-hats and grime-like offset claps, it doesn't seem nearly as Wu-centric as one would hope.’
- ‘‘Privacy,’ for example, features an electric piano accompanying what sounds like rustling pages as well as a hi-hat, cymbals, and rimshots.’
- ‘A soft hi-hat danced around what had become a seven-four time signature, marked only by the high trills that before were only starting to form.’
- ‘But all the cymbals were overdubbed, and for the hi-hat, we made this box to make it quieter because the room was [made of] stone.’
- ‘A modest drum kit is a kick, snare, two toms, a couple of cymbals and a hi-hat.’
- ‘A solid kick drum, a crisp hi-hat, some subtle echo effects: each makes an appearance and, more importantly, each counts.’
- ‘The Rhythm Traveller comes with just the hi-hat and a single cymbal stand and cymbal.’
- ‘This track showcased Peart's finesse on the hi-hat and cymbals while Lee pulled out his unique flamenco bass playing chops.’
- ‘The bass jumps in with the hi-hat (with kick drum soon to follow) to imply a space for some power chords.’
- ‘Blood Axe was making the gong roll out solemn notes with one hand while beating hell out of the top cymbal of his hi-hat with the other.’
- ‘The bass twirls about the whiplashing snares, the snuffed hi-hats giving the impression that the Neptunes had a hand in the production.’
- ‘‘Deafening’ opens the disc with soothing guitar chords, bells, and violin droning over a tight high-hat and snare-rim beat.’
- ‘The snare drum was a Neumann KM84, the hi-hat was a KM86 and the toms were U87s.’
- ‘Acoustic guitar strums race into the picture, egged on by electronically produced hi-hats and bass drums.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.