Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Of or pertaining to a hexagon.
- ‘Over the banister, visitors saw the top of an elegant structure, narrow at the base, with an inner hexagonal column.’
- ‘It was a hexagonal glass structure with a high domed roof.’
- ‘Double-panelled doors lead to a hexagonal dining room.’
- ‘There are over a dozen pen-and-wash studies of figures in oval or hexagonal frames.’
- ‘The most distinctive item in the collection is the hexagonal vase.’
- ‘The floor was laid with tiny hexagonal tiles.’
- ‘The spanner is used to tighten the hexagonal nut.’
- ‘Insect compound eyes are made up of many hexagonal lenses.’
- ‘After ripping out red linoleum, they finished the room with black-and-white hexagonal floor tile.’
- ‘The project leader says hexagonal pixels give smoother edges in images than square pixels.’
- 1.1 (of a solid) having a section that is a hexagon; constructed on a base that is a hexagon.
- 1.2 Designating or pertaining to a crystal system in which three coplanar axes of equal length are separated by 60° and a fourth axis of a different length is at right angles to these.
- ‘Pure phase zirconium exists in a hexagonal close-packed crystal structure.’
- ‘Cystine crystals are clear, colorless hexagonal plates, often appearing in layers.’
- ‘The inner core is pure iron in a hexagonal close-packed crystalline form.’
- ‘Each molecule has on average six neighbors, generating a six-fold hexagonal symmetry.’
- ‘These quartz crystals from Cumberland appear to possess normal hexagonal symmetry.’
- ‘We applied a swelling method to help determine the relative phases of the diffraction peaks along the crystal axis perpendicular to the hexagonal base.’
- 1.3 (of a mineral) crystallizing in a hexagonal system.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.