Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A design usually in the shape of a star, wheel, or rosette on a circular field. Formerly, hex signs were painted on barns, especially by the Pennsylvania Dutch, and were thought to ward off evil.
- ‘When new, the facade of the chest sometimes resembled a patchwork quilt; others were decorated with beautiful circular designs that resembled mandalas or so-called hex signs painted on barns in Pennsylvania.’
- ‘This religious difference helps explain why hex signs are not found everywhere in southeastern Pennsylvania.’
- ‘Feathers are cut to make quill pens that the students will write with, and hex signs are painted in the style of these traditional barn designs.’
- ‘The hex signs are also painted on candles; household goods such as kitchen utensils and racks; and on wooden and metal disks which can be hung in windows.’
- ‘The dark oak bar was decorated with green-striped squashes; tulip hex signs lined the shelves.’
- ‘Pages of colorful hex signs will help you recognize and appreciate their beauty.’
- ‘In the winter of 1999 she received a phone call out of the blue from someone looking for an artist to paint a custom hex sign for a new barn.’
- ‘These are beautiful examples of hex signs that appear on barns in southeastern Pennsylvania.’
- ‘Created as a hex sign by the Amish, this potent talisman traditionally attracts Serenity and Inner Strength.’
- ‘The silk screening process has made hex signs more readily available throughout the world.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.