Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1The state of being a heterozygote.
- ‘The shortcoming of ISSR markers, as with RAPDs, is that most bands are scored as dominant markers, giving no possibility to distinguish between homozygosis and heterozygosis directly.’
- ‘It was also at BARC that Wright first proposed the variable he designated as F to express an inbreeding coefficient, the mathematical correlation that measures the decrease in heterozygosis from that in the foundation stock.’
- ‘The majority of chromosomes carrying these inversions will be found in heterozygosis, and thus we expect a larger reduction of recombination than in inversions with higher frequency.’
- ‘It was 1913 before convincing cytological evidence for female heterozygosis was produced in moths.’
- 1.1Biology The formation of a zygote through the fusion of genetically different gametes.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.