One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The quality or characteristic of being sexually attracted solely to people of the opposite sex.
- ‘Because heterosexuality is socially constructed as "normal" in our culture, the wide range of sexualities possible for humans is largely ignored by many educators.’
- ‘I have a personal preference for teaching apparently "straightforward" texts, to show how their characterization and narrative are actually constructed and constrained by compulsory heterosexuality.’
- ‘Men should not be expected to live up to stereotypical conceptions of heterosexuality and masculinity.’
- ‘You said that you didn't play the character as a gay man because his heterosexuality was evident in the screenplay.’
- ‘The audience is let in on the truth about the girls' heterosexuality much earlier than Paula is.’
- ‘The assumption of heterosexuality has been common in almost all family theorizing until very recently.’
- ‘He has always refused to proclaim an exclusive heterosexuality.’
- ‘She thinks we should reject historical assumptions about sex, such as heterosexuality and monogamy.’
- ‘One interview even had her proclaiming her heterosexuality over and over again, hoping that her fans got the message.’
- ‘She was worried that I had ditched heterosexuality and converted religions all in one week.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.