Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Discrimination or prejudice against homosexuals on the assumption that heterosexuality is the normal sexual orientation.
prejudice, partiality, partisanship, favouritism, unfairness, one-sidednessView synonyms
- ‘Anarchists are opposed to the use of force, coercion, authority and hierarchy, so it follows that an anarchist society would be free from sexism and heterosexism and racism and other isms.’
- ‘This occurs not only for the gay and lesbian youths themselves but also for those who care about them and have been misinformed through their own exposure to heterosexism and homophobia.’
- ‘How do sexism, heterosexism and homophobia work together to constrain sexuality and gender and to punish transgression of these categories?’
- ‘However, the majority of health issues are a direct result of homophobia, heterosexism and social exclusion in society.’
- ‘We're here to educate about homophobia and heterosexism, provide support to students by students, and hold educational and social events.’
- ‘The book is a collection of self-reflective essays that focus on the impact of personal and institutional sexism, racism, classism, heterosexism and ethnocentrism on the 12 women.’
- ‘As the authors themselves note, however, their text is limited in addressing how class and economic issues intersect with racism, sexism, anti-Semitism, heterosexism, ageism, and able-ism.’
- ‘Brown provides a particularly useful discussion of the impact of homophobia and heterosexism on gay and lesbian couples.’
- ‘Only relatively recently did the social scientific and therapeutic communities begin to utilize the concepts of homophobia and heterosexism to portray the discrimination faced by gay people.’
- ‘The institutionalized homophobia, heterosexism, sexism and racism of medical institutions make it unsafe for us when we are ill, to chance coming out, and difficult to get the support we need when we don't.’
- ‘More recently, the feminist critique, which originally centered on gender equity, has been expanded and joined by others critiquing racism, classism, heterosexism, nationalism, and so on.’
- ‘If we want to eliminate racism, sexism, heterosexism and other negative ‘isms,’ we need to take responsibility for the context of the words we use.’
- ‘Just as homophobia, heterosexism, and invisibility can obstruct lesbians' access to health care, they can also inhibit research on queer women's health issues.’
- ‘Psychopathological assumptions about gays persist despite these findings, and heterosexism continues to provide an invisible subtext to much therapeutic work.’
- ‘They may grudgingly grant the systematic nature of inequality, but to them, racism, sexism, and heterosexism are still bad attitudes held by bad people.’
- ‘The CSHP provides an appropriate model for a school or district-wide health promotion program to create a safe and supportive environment free of violence, heterosexism, and homophobia.’
- ‘Patriarchy, sexism, heterosexism and globalization are all root causes of this particular form of exploitation.’
- ‘Further, they should assist adolescents in recognizing other societal messages that are oppressive based on racism, sexism, ageism, and/or heterosexism.’
- ‘We strive to eliminate sexism, ageism, heterosexism and other forms of discrimination from our lives.’
- ‘Racism (along with sexism, heterosexism, and all the other isms) is seldom overt.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.