Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Characterized by opposite or alternating polarity.
- ‘A typical heteropolar magnetic bearing system is shown in the figure below.’
- ‘The low-frequency noise spectral density with the 1 / f spectrum for homopolar and heteropolar semi-conductors is theoretically obtained taking into account conduction electron - optical phonon interactions.’
- ‘By contrast, the reversible stage of photoinduced effects were caused by two different types of transformations - heteropolar bonds switching in homopolar ones, as well as heteropolar bridge bonds switching in short layer ones.’
- ‘All cells in the colony are heteropolar, and all setae are directed toward one end of the chain.’
- ‘Valves bilaterally symmetrical, isopolar and circular, or heteropolar and subcircular or ± elliptical, with one pole smoothly rounded and the other very slightly pointed.’
- 1.1(especially of an electric motor) with an armature passing north and south magnetic poles alternately.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.