One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Denoting the sex which has sex chromosomes that differ in morphology, resulting in two different kinds of gamete, e.g. (in mammals) the male and (in birds) the female.The opposite of homogametic
- ‘However, the sex chromosomes of birds contain a complement of genes different from those on the mammalian sex chromosomes, and the heterogametic sex is the female.’
- ‘In birds, the female is the heterogametic sex and she has one Z and one W chromosome, whereas the male has two Z chromosomes.’
- ‘Many groups have the familiar XX female, XY male system encountered in most mammals, but others, such as birds and butterflies, have heterogametic ZW females and homogametic ZZ males.’
- ‘In birds, the heterogametic female possesses both genes, while the male possesses only CHD1 - Z.’
- ‘Like humans, sand lizard males have heterogametic sex chromosomes.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.