Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Chromosome material of different density from normal (usually greater), in which the activity of the genes is modified or suppressed.Compare with euchromatin
- ‘Studies of genes translocated to heterochromatin have provided insight into the factors that control chromatin states.’
- ‘The organization of DNA into euchromatin and heterochromatin is implicated in gene silencing.’
- ‘Thus, the density of genes in heterochromatin is about 1% of that in euchromatin.’
- ‘Genes located in heterochromatin are transcriptionally silenced, irrespective of their own promoter sequences.’
- ‘Numerous genes act to remodel and repress chromatin in heterochromatin and around euchromatic genes during development.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.