One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Chromosome material of different density from normal (usually greater), in which the activity of the genes is modified or suppressed.Compare with euchromatin
- ‘The organization of DNA into euchromatin and heterochromatin is implicated in gene silencing.’
- ‘Studies of genes translocated to heterochromatin have provided insight into the factors that control chromatin states.’
- ‘Numerous genes act to remodel and repress chromatin in heterochromatin and around euchromatic genes during development.’
- ‘Thus, the density of genes in heterochromatin is about 1% of that in euchromatin.’
- ‘Genes located in heterochromatin are transcriptionally silenced, irrespective of their own promoter sequences.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.