Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1Of several different colors or (in physics) wavelengths.
Relating to heterochromatin.
- ‘Although the repetitive nature of heterochromatic DNA has hampered its sequencing and annotation, a number of recent studies have made significant advances to rectifying this situation.’
- ‘In wild-type chromosomes, these proteins are confined to the heterochromatic DNA sequences either by terminator sequences or by proximally directed initiators.’
- ‘Recent findings described association processes after 4 - Gy irradiation during the first hour of repair for heterochromatic regions, but not euchromatic regions.’
- ‘This phenomenon is discussed in light of a possible role of heterochromatic proteins in the process of heterochromatin underrepresentation in polytene chromosomes.’
- ‘The female-specific avian W chromosome shares several characteristics with the mammalian Y chromosome; it is small, gene-poor, and rich in repetitive heterochromatic DNA.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.