Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
adjective & nouninformal
- short for heterosexual
- ‘Like most of these discussions, it was framed in terms of heteros vs. homos.’
- ‘At first, the mixed crowd appeared mostly hetero, and it took some gaydar adjustment to detect the hot femme look that predominates in much of lesbian Latin America.’
- ‘I don't feel I'm hiding anything - I wouldn't announce myself a hetero, would I?’
- ‘It's 84 minutes of heteros being irresistibly adorable.’
- ‘As for the men, well a stroll to the adult video store will quickly dispel the idea that lesbians are somehow unpopular with hetero men.’
- ‘Therefore, they say, benefits should be offered to both gay and hetero couples who want equal benefits but don't want to be committed to the institution of matrimony.’
- ‘I'm a hetero college female and my boyfriend and I are sexually active.’
- ‘Now they are savvy, mostly because people are more out and so most heteros KNOW gay people.’
- ‘An up-and-coming lesbian singer tells how she and her hetero band mate make music for everybody's ears’
- ‘As if hetero couples and hetero sex isn't shoved in our faces on every street corner, in every GU clinic, at the doctors surgery, in our parental homes etc etc etc.’
- ‘Many young gay men now take advantage of the relaxed attitude and cruise hetero clubs like Pravda and Rex to pick up straight guys.’
- ‘I'm a hetero college male and I recently started dating a hetero college female.’
- ‘The major problem [with gays in the military] is heteros feeling their privacy rights would be violated.’
- ‘Being a hetero, white, U.S.-born female, it's easy for me to trust that the world gets who I am even if advertising does not.’
- ‘How much more constructive it would be if our movement, while pushing for full marriage rights, stopped making alliances with cultural leftists favoring benefits for unwed heteros.’
- ‘People are already freaked-out enough about hetero sex.’
- ‘What do you think about the fact that you probably have as many gay male fans as you do hetero female ones?’
- ‘It doesn't matter if you're hetero or homo or bi: people are still the same, and people can still betray your feelings and leave you crying in the darkness.’
- ‘Apart from that, he shares just about all my interests, he's single, he's hetero, he's looking not to be single, and he's rich.’
- ‘The hottest new show in TV-land these days is Bravo's Queer Eye for the Straight Guy, where five gay men give hapless heteros style makeovers.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.