Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The quality or state of being hesitant.
reluctance, unwillingness, disinclination, unease, uneasiness, ambivalence, demurral, compunctionuncertainty, hesitation, hesitance, unsureness, doubt, doubtfulness, dubiousness, irresolution, irresoluteness, indecision, indecisiveness, equivocation, vacillation, wavering, scepticism, nervousness, second thoughtsView synonyms
- ‘And by and large, they want to have questions asked and they want to have some hesitancy about this initiative.’
- ‘With equal frequency he swept the ball off the sod without a second's hesitancy, and all told his was a performance fit to grace any final.’
- ‘There is one man who will have no doubts or hesitancies.’
- ‘She wavered between hesitancy and her natural propensity for fun.’
- ‘The hesitancy and uncertainty that characterised the lead-up to this conflict has now been taken into the battlefield.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.