One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The quality or state of being hesitant.‘Jackson took advantage of some hesitancy in the defense to rifle in a shot’
uncertainty, hesitation, hesitance, unsureness, doubt, doubtfulness, dubiousness, irresolution, irresoluteness, indecision, indecisiveness, equivocation, vacillation, wavering, scepticism, nervousness, second thoughtsreluctance, unwillingness, disinclination, unease, uneasiness, ambivalence, demurral, compunctionView synonyms
- ‘She wavered between hesitancy and her natural propensity for fun.’
- ‘With equal frequency he swept the ball off the sod without a second's hesitancy, and all told his was a performance fit to grace any final.’
- ‘There is one man who will have no doubts or hesitancies.’
- ‘The hesitancy and uncertainty that characterised the lead-up to this conflict has now been taken into the battlefield.’
- ‘And by and large, they want to have questions asked and they want to have some hesitancy about this initiative.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.