Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
The reptiles and amphibians of a particular region, habitat, or geological period.
- ‘In areas like savannas, where the scrub jays are in close proximity to suburban habitats, house cats are important predators of many bird species as well as herpetofauna.’
- ‘The book also includes several studies on lesser-known animals - birds, herpetofauna and fishes - many of which have yet to be identified by science.’
- ‘Therefore, the Hudson River population of Necturus is not unique among the aquatic herpetofauna.’
- ‘It is an updated field guide and natural history guide to the herpetofauna of Pennsylvania, also focusing on species found in the northeastern United States.’
- ‘He also wants to create a comprehensive database of the herpetofauna in India for the next generation of researchers.’
Modern Latin, from Greek herpeton creeping thing, reptile + fauna.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.