One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
1medical name for shingles
- ‘The treatment of herpes zoster has three major objectives: treatment of the acute viral infection, treatment of the acute pain associated with herpes zoster and prevention of postherpetic neuralgia.’
- ‘Pain is the most debilitating feature of herpes zoster, and postherpetic neuralgia is the most common long-term complication.’
- ‘The study shows that the clinical course of herpes zoster is relatively benign and that postherpetic neuralgia rarely affects daily life.’
- ‘Topical corticosteroids are often recommended in addition to oral antiviral agents to help reduce the pain and inflammation of herpes zoster.’
- ‘Initial differential diagnoses included herpes zoster and systemic lupus erythematosis, but it became clear that this was photosensitivity induced by oral doxycycline.’
- 1.1 A herpesvirus that causes shingles and chickenpox.
- ‘Infection with herpes zoster caused by a reactivation of varicella virus dormant in dorsal root ganglia is also common in older adults.’
- ‘Eight per cent of patients with HIV had herpes zoster.’
- ‘Doctors should exclude well established causes of skin necrosis, including herpes zoster, staphylococcal skin infections, and syphilitic chancre, before implicating arthropods at all.’
- ‘Primary varicella infection can often be prevented or at least limited by administration of the varicella vaccine within 72 hours of exposure to chickenpox or herpes zoster.’
- ‘In facial palsies caused by herpes simplex virus or herpes zoster virus there remains a strong correlation between the peak severity of the palsy and the outcome.’
Late Middle English: from herpes and Latin zoster, from Greek zōstēr ‘girdle, shingles’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.