A viral infection, caused by a group of herpes viruses, that may produce cold sores, genital inflammation, or conjunctivitis.
- ‘Encephalitis is inflammation of the brain, usually caused by a viral infection like measles, mumps, chicken pox, influenza or herpes simplex, the cold sore virus.’
- ‘In addition to the usual common cold viruses, chlamydial pneumonia and herpes simplex virus infections may play a role in exacerbations of bronchospasm in patients with and without asthma.’
- ‘The most common causes of viral meningitis are enteroviruses, herpes simplex virus, and HIV.’
- ‘A less common but more serious viral conjunctivitis is herpes simplex infection.’
- ‘They think that it might be possible to use a version of the cold sore virus herpes simplex to treat a particularly nasty form of brain cancer called glioma.’