Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any of a group of viral diseases caused by herpes viruses, affecting the skin (often with blisters) or the nervous system.
- ‘Although smaller in number, incidences of gonorrhea and genital warts rose, while there was a fall in cases of herpes and syphilis.’
- ‘Gonorrhoea, chlamydia and herpes can all, given the right conditions, be passed on by oral sex, she says.’
- ‘Once a person is infected with oral herpes, the virus remains in a nerve located near the cheekbone.’
- ‘Sufferers are also more prone to herpes and skin infections.’
- ‘The technology will be applied to viral targets such as hepatitis B and herpes as well as to other infective agents.’
- ‘Viruses like herpes and HPV have moments where sores have not flared-up.’
- ‘Oral herpes is a viral infection that affects the mouth, throat, and parts of the face.’
- ‘Some of the common STIs are syphilis, herpes, genital warts, gonorrhea, chlamydia and HIV.’
- ‘Infections like cold, chicken pox, herpes are all caused by viruses.’
- ‘A serious consequence of genital HSV infection is neonatal herpes, which results from transmission from mother to infant.’
- ‘The site also offers graphic photos of just what syphilis, herpes, warts and what have you look like.’
- ‘Children often become infected with type 1 herpes during the first years of life.’
- ‘After initial infection from either herpes or hepatitis one would show clinical signs of illness within a few weeks, not after years.’
- ‘Viruses including flu, herpes, measles and chickenpox can cause pneumonia.’
- ‘Your pap smear can occasionally identify sexually transmitted diseases such as herpes or human papilloma virus.’
- ‘Women should be asked carefully about symptoms of herpes infections at the onset of labor.’
- ‘The presence of sores due to herpes or syphilis may also increase the chance of spreading HIV regardless of the type of sex activity.’
- ‘In combination with drug therapies, it is useful in treating skin diseases, such as psoriasis, herpes, and eczema.’
- ‘Genital herpes can result from infection with either viral type.’
- ‘The most devastating consequence of genital herpes is neonatal herpes.’
Late Middle English (originally used also of other skin conditions): via Latin from Greek herpēs ‘shingles’, literally ‘creeping’, from herpein ‘to creep’.
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.