One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
- ‘Davis claims that hermaphroditism in polar bears and alligators shows that PCBs and various man-made ‘environmental estrogens’ account for reduced human sperm counts and may threaten the future of the human race.’
- ‘Sequential hermaphroditism (functioning as male during one life phase and as female during another) is common in marine fishes, with protogyny (sex change from female to male) predominating.’
- ‘This is largely because doctors avoid using the terms hermaphroditism or intersexuality around intersexuals and their parents.’
- ‘In evolutionary terms, hermaphroditism is thus twice as efficient a reproductive strategy as sex.’
- ‘She started as a historian of science, working on the history of medical treatment of hermaphroditism (now called intersex).’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.