One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A two-masted sailing ship with a square-rigged foremast and, on the mainmast, a square topsail above a fore-and-aft gaff mainsail.
- ‘The text stretches on and away, as dry and lifeless as an endless doldrums passage in a wormy, hermaphrodite brig.’
- ‘There are several hermaphrodite brigs that are still sailing, for example the beautiful wooden Søren Larsen.’
- ‘The Expedition consisted of ‘two little hermaphrodite brigs,’ the Advance and the Rescue.’
- ‘She was a rakish-looking hermaphrodite brig, and in the bright moonlight looked Yankee.’
- ‘All four are two masted hermaphrodite brigs, and are fitted for extended off-shore operations.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.