Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
1A member of a people living in Namibia, Angola, and Botswana.
- ‘The Hereros bitterly resisted, and large numbers of them, including women and children, were killed by German troops.’
- ‘This past weekend Hereros from Namibia, South Africa and Botswana commemorated the centenary of the massacre of some 65000 of their number in 1904.’
- ‘The Hereros of Namibia have raised their collective voice in this regard, taking the German government to court in the United States.’
- ‘The German occupation was a particularly unhappy experience for the Herero.’
- ‘The Namibian national identity must be reflected by all Namibians and not only by the Hereros.’
2The Bantu language of the Herero.
- ‘In Herero, for example, the uncle apparently refers to his nephew as ‘omurie uandje’.’
Relating to the Herero or their language.
- ‘As for the Ovambo and Herero traditions, you will hear from the scholars very soon in detail.’
- ‘In contrast, Government has for years refused to recognise a traditional authority for the Khwe in West Caprivi and a range of ethnic Herero leaders.’
- ‘There is still a close connection between the head of the Herero family, his special herd of cattle, and his ancestors.’
- ‘It's probably no coincidence that all the changes he proposes are Herero names, and this won't go down well with other Namibians in any case.’
- ‘They could have shown that regardless of Kaura and Riruako's issues they had swallowed their pride and put politics behind them just to be at this memorable event as proud leaders of the Herero nation.’
A local name, from Otshi-Herero, the Herero word for the language.
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.