One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
(of food or drink) containing or tasting or smelling of herbs.
- ‘Cooked in a cassoulet, this garlic and richly herby pork affair needs a very distinctive and forward wine to match it.’
- ‘His beef and herby pork varieties are exceptional.’
- ‘The half-dozen snails were attractively presented in a beige earthenware dish and had been cooked in a herby, garlic butter.’
- ‘Lemond does a fine, herby rotisserie chicken half that retains a measure of crispness in its delicious skin.’
- ‘And when they're cooked pick some pretty herby leaves from the pot and sprinkle them on the top of the pepper.’
- ‘It has small, pointed, dark green aromatic leaves that have a herby, peppery flavour and are delicious in bean and pulse dishes.’
- ‘Catherine looked exhausted already, but said the sausages were proper herby tubes of meat and the gravy soaked into the Yorkshire beautifully.’
- ‘Other dark-berried varieties grown include Grenache and Cinsaut, much used for the local herby rosés which account for about one bottle of Bandol in three, together with strictly limited additions of Syrah and Carignan.’
- ‘The mash was good and the lemon and herby drizzle made this a light and delicate follow-on to the full-flavoured fish soup.’
- ‘A type of modern-day vegetarian moussaka, these sweet oven-roasted onions are filled with a herby tomato, nut and mushroom mixture, then baked in a rich feta cheese custard.’
- ‘Count me among the devotees of this subtly herby and refreshingly fruity drink, spiked with just enough vanilla for intrigue.’
- ‘He lifts the lid off the pan to reveal a bubbling, herby stew.’
- ‘For those who find ‘sweet’ smells too sickly or pungent, the sharp herby, slightly camphoraceous aroma of rosemary is an ideal substitute.’
- ‘I also had to work out what I would cook, so resorted to my collection of those free recipe cards they give out at Sainsbury's and picked a herby pasta thing, the only ingredient of which I already had being olive oil.’
- ‘The glistening mushrooms were plump and earthy against the dry, crunchy pastry softened by the delicate, herby cream sauce.’
- ‘We imagined a rib-sticking hunk of meat, caveman food, but got instead a relatively dainty plate of almost transparently thin slices of herby, gamy lamb, blanketed with cannellini beans, tomatoes, and mushrooms.’
- ‘Good Gascon whites are essential summer swiggers as their vibrant, citrusy, herby fruit goes well with or without food.’
- ‘There's a sparkling tomato sauce that's a fresh-ketchup analogue; a tangle of marinated red peppers; and a little plate of herby black and green olives that could be seasoned with more conviction.’
- ‘Foie gras du canard and little spicy sweet peppers filled with herby cheese and drenched in olive oil were her choice of appetizers.’
- ‘South Africa's best Sauvignon blancs offer top value compared to their French cousins, and this assertive, tangy, verdant 2003 with plenty of ripe, herby fruit on the finish is a fine example.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.