One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The eating of plants, especially ones that are still living.‘in response to herbivory, plants defend themselves with arrays of structural and chemical weapons’
- ‘The outcome of herbivory on plant community structure and composition is dependent on herbivore selectivity and species tolerance.’
- ‘Atsatt and O'Dowd argued that the susceptibility of a plant to herbivory is affected by the identity and proximity of its neighbors.’
- ‘Also, plant herbivory is an unlikely explanation for the decline in inflorescence number because plants were caged during this study.’
- ‘I have characterized induced resistance of cucumber plants to spider mite herbivory in detail elsewhere.’
- ‘Any change in a plant that occurs following herbivory is an ‘induced response’.’
Mid 20th century: from herbivor(ous) + -y.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.