One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A colorless liquid hydrocarbon of the alkane series, obtained from petroleum.
- ‘Stereochemical isomers are also possible with the alkanes, beginning with heptane.’
- ‘The reactants and the catalyst remained in the heptane layer, which was recycled by adding additional acylating agent and fresh aqueous ethanol.’
- ‘Dehydrogenation is the commercial process for preparing toluene from heptane as given above.’
- ‘They are rated based on their ability to resist knocking against a standard mixture of two hydrocarbons, isooctane and heptane.’
- ‘The extent of shift from nonpolar solvent heptane to polar solvent methanol increases with increase in the conjugation in the compound.’
Late 19th century: from hepta- ‘seven’(denoting seven carbon atoms) + -ane.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.