Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
- technical term for digestive gland
- ‘Previous studies suggest that the site of decapod crustacean vitellogenin synthesis is the ovary, the hepatopancreas or both.’
- ‘Twenty-four hours later, the hepatopancreas, gills and muscle tissue were removed from each animal.’
- ‘Hemolymph flow rates to the mouthparts increased during feeding; perfusion of the foregut and hepatopancreas increased during digestion.’
- ‘For some experiments, samples of gill, claw muscle, hepatopancreas, gonad, and thoracic ganglion were also removed to serve as controls.’
- ‘Yolk proteins may be produced in follicle cells or the ovary or even the hepatopancreas and fat body.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.