Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A form of viral hepatitis transmitted in infected blood, causing chronic liver disease. It was formerly called non-A, non-B hepatitis.
- ‘Vaccination is also recommended for persons with chronic hepatitis C infection.’
- ‘Panicky use of unsterile needles may transmit HIV, hepatitis C, or other infections.’
- ‘The two firms plan to use the cow to develop medicines for diseases such as hepatitis C, pneumonia and rheumatism, she said.’
- ‘Scottish haemophiliacs infected with hepatitis C by contaminated blood products may not suspect they are carrying the deadly virus.’
- ‘The patient was positive for hepatitis C and herpes simplex virus 1 and 2 antibody.’
- ‘Factors such as alcohol abuse and hepatitis C may accelerate disease expression.’
- ‘A person infected with the virus that causes hepatitis C often has no symptoms until liver damage has occurred.’
- ‘Chronic hepatitis C virus infection has a long course, and most patients are diagnosed in a presymptomatic stage.’
- ‘Injectors have a higher risk of overdosing or acquiring blood-borne diseases like hepatitis C and HIV.’
- ‘He warned, however, the number of deaths from liver disease caused by hepatitis C would continue to rise.’
- ‘Some patients treated with products from donor blood have been infected with hepatitis C and HIV.’
- ‘A number of the haemophiliacs also contracted hepatitis C from the infected blood products.’
- ‘Chronic liver disease due to hepatitis C virus typically progresses slowly and usually does not result in major morbidity for many years.’
- ‘Some people who received blood transfusions and blood products before this were infected with hepatitis C from donor blood.’
- ‘In fact, chronic hepatitis C virus infection is the leading cause of cirrhosis in this country.’
- ‘The widow of a Swindon man who died after receiving blood infected with hepatitis C has vowed to fight on in her bid for compensation.’
- ‘Acute hepatitis C viral infection may present with very mild intermittent symptoms, or no symptoms at all.’
- ‘Twenty five patients with chronic hepatitis C and 25 healthy controls were studied.’
- ‘The Blood Bank admitted that an error was made in asking people infected with hepatitis C to donate blood.’
- ‘Women at increased risk should be tested for hepatitis C infection, gonorrhea, and chlamydia.’
hepatitis C/ˌhepəˈtīdis sē/
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.