One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
attributive Made from hemp fiber.‘hempen rope’
- ‘Wryly referring to the use of hempen rope for public hangings, Culpeper comments that the Saturnine plant is ‘good for something else than to make halters only’.’
- ‘Unreckonable moments had passed, and he awoke to discover that he lay prone upon a hard, flat surface and that he was restrained once more with thick, hempen ropes.’
- ‘Aristocratic criminals were privileged to meet their deaths by the sword rather than the disgraceful hempen rope; gentlemen settled their differences and answered insults at swords' point.’
- ‘The only award they both deserve is a length of hempen rope and tall tree - are there still spikes on the Palace of Westminster where traitors' heads can be displayed?’
- ‘He had a stout length of hempen rope coiled about one shoulder, and two large packs and my satchel were at his feet.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.