One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The production of blood cells and platelets, which occurs in the bone marrow.Also called hematogenesis
- ‘The modulating effect of drugs on hemopoiesis in exposure to neurotic factors is a consequence of their influence on the functional state of the cell elements of the hemopoiesis-inducing microenvironment.’
- ‘These studies may thus provide an insight into the regulators as well as the basic mechanism of hemopoiesis, hemopoietic regeneration and the underlying causes of hemopoietic disorders.’
- ‘Under normal conditions of hemopoiesis, the bone marrow acts as a site for the turnover and traffic of mature leukocytes to the peripheral circulation.’
- ‘One may speculate that these immature B cells may play a critical role in the regenerative regulation of hemopoiesis, as well as in immune functions in the context of chronic cytopenias.’
- ‘In the massively enlarged spleen, extramedullary hemopoiesis was prominent, with clusters of atypical megakaryocytes with vacuoles and erythrophagocytosis.’
Early 20th century: from hemo- ‘of blood’ + Greek poiēsis ‘making’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.