Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Any parasitic flagellate protozoan that lives in the bloodstream.
- ‘Extensive studies have been made on the kinetoplast, a unique mitochondrion found in the hemoflagellates and other members of the order Kinetoplastida.’
- ‘Following acquisition of the parasite, a hemoflagellate protozoan of the order Kinetoplastida, clinical symptoms range from negligible to acute Chagas disease that is characterized by fever, high parasitemia, and 5% mortality.’
- ‘The hemoflagellates are primitive parasitic protozoa that cause a number of diseases of medical and veterinary importance.’
- ‘Chagas' disease, caused by the hemoflagellate Trypanosoma cruzi, is endemic in Central and South America and parts of Mexico.’
- ‘Further, the invention relates to pharmaceutical compositions, suitable against hemoflagellates.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.