One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A blood cell, especially in an invertebrate.
- ‘Circulating blood cells known as hemocytes represent the main cellular component of the molluscan immune system.’
- ‘By studying shrimp at different times during the 5 day molt cycle, we observed the cyclic increase of tyrosine within the hemocytes with a maximum during days 1 and 5, when quinones are necessary for tanning the exoskeleton.’
- ‘Several studies have revealed the ability of circulating hemocytes to respond to a variety of soluble vertebrate factors, indirectly suggesting the presence of receptors to a variety of growth, hormonal and cytokine-like factors.’
- ‘These results support the hypothesis that aggregation of hemocytes in the gills impairs normal respiratory function and help explain the increased susceptibility of crustaceans to infectious disease in hypoxic environments.’
- ‘The corresponding larval phenotypes include hypertrophied hematopoietic organs, increased numbers of circulating hemocytes, and abnormal differentiation of lamellocytes that represent up to 50% of the cells.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.