One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
The primary body cavity of most invertebrates, containing circulatory fluid.
- ‘The circulatory system includes a heart that pumps blood into an open body cavity or hemocoel.’
- ‘Other internal organs are suspended in a general hemocoel.’
- ‘The circulatory system is open and consists of a heart, arteries, and the open spaces of the hemocoel.’
- ‘Arthropods also have a hemocoel, an open body cavity in which blood flows and bathes the tissues and organs.’
- ‘These tumors are frequently found floating freely in the haemocoel.’
Late 19th century: from hemo- ‘of blood’ + Greek koilos ‘hollow, cavity’.
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.