One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An insect of the order "Hemiptera", such as an aphid, cicada, or leafhopper.
- ‘Other wasps parasitize the eggs or larvae of other insects, such as the wasp below, which is shown emerging from the egg of a hemipteran that was parasitized.’
- ‘Predaceous arthropods were tallied and assigned to general taxonomic groups: spiders, hymenopterans, hemipterans, and coccinellids.’
- ‘Worldwide, stilt bugs are a relatively small group of unusual hemipterans, or true bugs, in the family Berytidae.’
- ‘Based exclusively on esophageal contents, hemipterans, including both corixids and notonectids, were not frequently ingested by female Buffleheads breeding on the Chilcotin Plateau.’
- ‘In June, there was a significant increase in consumption of hemipterans.’
Relating to or denoting hemipterans.
- ‘This was not, however, the same as the hemipteran rostrum.’
- ‘Recently, it was suggested that the hemipteran - plant interaction constituted a new pathway for plant carnivory.’
- ‘Members of the family Scelionidae are egg parasitoids of several economically-important hemipteran pests.’
- ‘The primary reason for this is that a carnivorous hemipteran lives obligately in very close association with Roridula.’
- ‘They suggest that Roridula absorbs nitrogen from the liquid hemipteran faeces directly through the cuticle.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.