One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
An insect of the order Hemiptera, such as an aphid, cicada, or leafhopper.
- ‘Predaceous arthropods were tallied and assigned to general taxonomic groups: spiders, hymenopterans, hemipterans, and coccinellids.’
- ‘Based exclusively on esophageal contents, hemipterans, including both corixids and notonectids, were not frequently ingested by female Buffleheads breeding on the Chilcotin Plateau.’
- ‘Worldwide, stilt bugs are a relatively small group of unusual hemipterans, or true bugs, in the family Berytidae.’
- ‘In June, there was a significant increase in consumption of hemipterans.’
- ‘Other wasps parasitize the eggs or larvae of other insects, such as the wasp below, which is shown emerging from the egg of a hemipteran that was parasitized.’
Relating to or denoting hemipterans.
- ‘The primary reason for this is that a carnivorous hemipteran lives obligately in very close association with Roridula.’
- ‘Members of the family Scelionidae are egg parasitoids of several economically-important hemipteran pests.’
- ‘Recently, it was suggested that the hemipteran - plant interaction constituted a new pathway for plant carnivory.’
- ‘This was not, however, the same as the hemipteran rostrum.’
- ‘They suggest that Roridula absorbs nitrogen from the liquid hemipteran faeces directly through the cuticle.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.