Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
Each of the paired male reproductive organs in snakes and lizards.
- ‘Sharks do have paired structures for injecting sperm, called hemipenes.’
- ‘Despite these anatomical differences, amniote penises and hemipenes share some basic similarities: they are all more or less cylindrical, and they are all hydrostatic.’
- ‘We sexed each snake by probing its cloaca to detect the presence of hemipenes.’
- ‘Our studies on gartersnakes (Thamnophis sirtalis parietalis) reveal significant morphological asymmetry in this system: testes, kidneys, and hemipenes on the right-hand-side of the body are larger than those on the left.’
- ‘Sex was determined by everting the hemipenes of males.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.