Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A plant that obtains or may obtain part of its food by parasitism, e.g., mistletoe, which also photosynthesizes.
- ‘On emergence, holoparasites produce only a nonphotosynthetic inflorescence, whereas hemiparasites develop a photosynthetic shoot system before flowering.’
- ‘Rhinanthus minor is a facultative hemiparasite found in natural and semi-natural grasslands throughout the UK and Europe.’
- ‘Angiosperm root hemiparasites attach to the root system of a host plant and extract xylem sap after gaining contact with xylem vessels.’
- ‘In the case of hemiparasites that rely on solutes from the host transpiration stream, it is clear that a higher conductance of parasite xylem and stomata sustains water flux from the host.’
- ‘The federally endangered hemiparasite Schwalbea americana is a fire-dependent plant.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.