One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
A semicircular shape or structure.
- ‘Minutes before the official announcement in the futuristic hemicycle arena, he gave a thumbs up to his 12-year-old son Peter and daughter Grace as they sat in the gallery.’
- ‘Inside the fabulous wood-panelled hemicycle of the Camera dei Deputati, beneath the stunning Beltranni stained glass windows, 630 Italian parliamentarians are in mid-debate.’
- ‘A cross-axis at the entrance hall opens to the left onto an elaborately shaped dining room - a square with intersecting hemicycles and a half-octagon - and to the right onto a ‘den’ with a half-octagonal porch beyond.’
- ‘Delaroche incorporated a widely admired portrait of Antonello da Messina in his 1841 hemicycle at the Ecole des Beaux-Arts in Paris.’
- ‘This is one of the most successful small classical buildings of its period, with a widely spaced Roman Doric hemicycle, and a copper roof with a bulbous finial for the clock.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.