One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
nounPlural hematomata, Plural hematomasMedicine
A solid swelling of clotted blood within the tissues.
- ‘There may be bruising called contusions or a collection of blood called a hematoma or clot.’
- ‘Skin hemorrhages in the form of petechiae, ecchymoses, hematomas, and purpura will quickly become apparent.’
- ‘Bleeding under your skin, causing a painful swelling called a haematoma.’
- ‘The nurse suctions the patient's mouth frequently, at which time he or she inspects the mouth for active bleeding, clots, or hematomas.’
- ‘However, other hematomas can develop within days after the operation and cause bruising.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.