1Of or concerning the blood.
Situated on the same side of the body as the heart and major blood vessels (i.e., in chordates, ventral)
- ‘This process articulates with slim unpaired haemal spines which, in turn, articulate with the axonosts of the anal fin.’
- ‘In basal cross section, the fused chevrons of the haemal arch have a flattened medial face and a U-shaped lateral face.’
- ‘Well-preserved centra show paired subcentral foramina, located on either side of the hemal ridge at a level slightly behind the midpoint of the centrum.’
- ‘The first caudal vertebra is identified as the most anterior vertebra that has paired haemal flanges extending along the ventral surface of the centrum.’
- ‘The hemal system parallels the water vascular system and probably distributes nutrients from the digestive tract.’
Mid 19th century: from Greek haima blood + -al.