Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
A substance, such as a viral protein, that causes hemagglutination.
- ‘Most consist of a viral protein called hemagglutinin, which has the unique ability to latch onto respiratory cells and invade them.’
- ‘In this study we monitored membrane ionic permeability at early stages of fusion mediated by the fusogenic protein influenza hemagglutinin.’
- ‘The two envelope glycoprotein antigens, the hemagglutinin and the neuraminidase determine host specificity and efficiency of infection and transmission on the background of the susceptible cells of the host species.’
- ‘The introduced viral genes encode a surface protein called hemagglutinin, an enzyme known as neuraminidase, and two proteins dubbed M1 and M2.’
- ‘Influenza is the prototypic virus containing a class I fusion protein, hemagglutinin, that requires low pH for fusion.’
Are you looking for a word for a foolish person? We explore twelve interesting words to describe the dunderheads in your life.
Before you run for the hills, let’s run through a list of ‘run’ expressions that are running through our minds.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.