One of the mysteries of the English language finally explained.
Hesitate; be indecisive.‘I waste a lot of time hemming and hawing before going into action’
- ‘So they hem and haw and appear ever so grave and thoughtful.’
- ‘But he hemmed and hawed for months.’
- ‘There's no time to hem and haw.’
- ‘After my son hemmed and hawed awhile, my grandson finally spoke up in disgust.’
- ‘Be a little of both, say nothing too definite, hem and haw, and split the difference.’
- ‘However, after a few more minutes of hemming and hawing, his curiosity got the better of him and he unfolded the paper.’
- ‘The clerk hemmed and hawed, and finally said no.’
- ‘He hemmed and hawed, but I eventually got him to call the other dealership.’
- ‘After some hemming and hawing, I bought one.’
- ‘But even though they were on discount, I hemmed and hawed.’
Top tips for CV writingRead more
In this article we explore how to impress employers with a spot-on CV.