Which Joe gave his name to ‘sloppy joes’? We look at five interesting sandwiches and their lexical origins.
An ancient Celtic people living in what is now western Switzerland.
- ‘Caesar ordered the Helvetii and their allies to return to their territories.’
- ‘The Helvetii, compelled by the want of every thing, sent ambassadors to him about a surrender.’
- ‘He claimed he had to carry out a pre-emptive strike against the Helvetii in the interests of homeland security.’
- ‘In the end, the Helvetii were totally routed, and compelled to submit to the domination of Rome.’
- ‘One such marriage between a Roman and a young woman of the Helvetii was the beginning of the Jaquiery family.’
We take a look at several popular, though confusing, punctuation marks.
From Afghanistan to Zimbabwe, discover surprising and intriguing language facts from around the globe.
The definitions of ‘buddy’ and ‘bro’ in the OED have recently been revised. We explore their history and increase in popularity.